How to use cruise control
Using my Volkswagen’s cruise control
Volkswagen designed its cruise control to help you keep your eyes on the road when operating it. That is why the stalk is within easy reach. To activate cruise control, move the switch on top of the stalk to the ON position (1). When you reach the speed limit, toggle the button at the end of the stalk to the SET/- position (2)-press briefly and release. You are now cruising. The little green “cruise” light, located in the instrument cluster, is on now. And your foot is off of the gas pedal. If the speed limit increases and you want to cruise faster-toggle and hold the button at the end of the stalk at the RES/+ (3) position until you reach the new speed limit. You will feel the vehicle accelerate. To slow down, just toggle and hold the button at the SET/- position. The vehicle slows down. Then release when you are at your lower speed. To deactivate cruise control, just depress the brake pedal. When you do this, the little green cruise light shuts off.
Did you know?
That cruise control is best used on the open highway and may improve fuel economy?
- Using the cruise control when it is not possible to drive safely at a constant speed can be dangerous, and can lead to an accident causing serious personal injury to you and your passengers.
- Never use the cruise control when driving in heavy or varying traffic, or on steep, winding or slippery roads (snow, ice, streets covered with standing water or gravel, for example).
- Always adapt your speed and the distance to the vehicles ahead while considering the traffic situation. This is the duty of the driver. The cruise control is merely an aid to the driver.
- To prevent unintended operation of the cruise control, switch the system off when it is not being used.
- It is dangerous to use the “Resume” feature when the previously set speed is too high for the existing road, traffic or weather conditions.
- Never use the cruise control when driving off-road.
- When travelling downhill, the cruise control may not be able to maintain a constant speed. The vehicle will speed up because of its own weight. Downshift and/or use the foot brake to slow the vehicle.
- Using the cruise control when it is not possible to drive safely at a constant speed is dangerous.